Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've been through a countless number of chocolate chip cookie recipes. There are so many that are great that I can never remember which one I like the best, so I usually just end up cycling through them again and again. As of recently that has come to an end- THIS is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe! I like my chocolate chip cookies chewy, not crisp or cakey. This recipe makes an incredibly moist, chewy center and edges that are just crisp enough to add contrast. Yes... this recipe does "cheat" to achieve that perfect texture- it uses a package of pudding mix. Normally I try and do everything from scratch when I can, but I am not too proud to use this recipe, they're just too fantastic to deny. Really, sometimes I can be a yuppy when it comes to baking... (don't ever try and feed me frosting from a can). So I think it is saying something when I use a recipe with pudding mix for such a signature baked good. My favorite thing about this recipe is how moist and fresh tasting the cookies stay after a few days. I even sent some to my brother in Germany and they hadn't even begun to stale when he received them. There really isn't much else I can say about this recipe. Bake them. They will speak for themselves.

These are my cookie baking rules-

1.) Use parchment or a silicone mat (I use the mat).
2.) Make sure they are uniform in size (I use a 1 1/2 Tb scoop).
3.) Put the dough in the refrigerator to firm up before putting in the oven. This ensures that the butter won't melt before the leavening agent (baking soda/powder) has a chance to react. What this will achieve is the perfect cookie shape when baked.
4.) Make sure you always scoop cookies onto a cool pan (I alternate pans).
5.) Dont ever let your cookies cool on the pan! Please transfer them onto a cooling racking with a spatula  a minute or two after they leave the oven (thin metal spatula's work best).






Chocolate Chip Cookies
yield: 3 dozen

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened at room temperature
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.

2.) Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and mix until well blended after each addition. Add in vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop cookies by rounded tablespoonfuls on cookie sheets lined with parchment or silicone mats.

3.) Bake for 10-12 minutes, until edges are just golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment