Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies

I have been dying for anything with cream cheese in it lately, but I didn't want to make a whole cheesecake for just myself... knowing me the whole thing would be gone in three days. So when I found this cookie recipe I went right to baking! It fit my craving perfectly because it only makes about a small batch of cookies, just enough for me to tackle with my coffee the next few days : ) And who can deny the sheer appeal of Oreo's? Not me! Well, let me tell you, these cookies did not disappoint. They came together very quickly in my mixer and almost didn't make it to the oven. Some of them didn't! There are no eggs in this batter so the cookie dough is up for grabs- Mmmmmm, cookie dough.... hehe An even better idea came across me while preparing the dough- why not freeze the cookie dough into balls and you would have almost an Oreo cheesecake truffle. So that is exactly what I did with half the batter and came up with two recipes for you- Oreo Cheesecake Cookies and Oreo Cheesecake No-Bakes. You can literally make them into decadent truffles by dipping them in melted semisweet chocolate after freezing and setting them in the refrigerator to harden- voila! What a perfect no bake dessert. This reminded me of the Oreo truffles you can make with  just a package of Oreo's and a block of cream cheese, which is pretty delicious as well. Honestly, these are better. Plus! You have the option of baking them and making them ooey and gooey. However, there is just a smidge more to do than just mix cream cheese and a package of cookies together, but not by much! You can't go wrong either way, this is just such an easy recipe and is incredibly delicious. If I had to decide if they were better baked or frozen, I would definitely have to say frozen. Not only was there one less step involved, but they were just so luscious and cheesecake like that I couldn't stop popping them in my mouth. They were still great baked though! The Oreo chunks in the baked dough were almost like what you get after dipping your Oreo's in milk, moist with a very slight crunch- soooo good! Be sure to let them cool completely though, they are much better that way. It totally just depends what you are in the mood for. I have to credit this adaptation to another amazing baking blog that I follow- the brown eyed baker. What a terrific find!





Oreo Cheesecake Truffles
Print Recipe
(This is my preferred method for this cookie)

Yield:  Approximately 2 dozen

½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (mini* or regular)
1/2 cup chopped Oreo cookies (with creme), plus 1 cup crushed Oreo crumbs (without creme)
1. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and well-combined.
3. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix until the ingredients are well-combined. Add the flour and mix on low until the flour is incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips and chopped Oreo's with a rubber spatula.
4. Place the Oreo cookie crumbs in a small bowl. Scoop the cookies into about 1½ to 2″ balls and then roll in the cookie crumbs. Place the cookie balls on a sheet pan and cover with plastic wrap then place in the freezer until set.
*I would use mini chocolate chips for this




Oreo Cheesecake Cookies
Print Recipe
Yield:  Approximately 2 dozen


½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (mini or regular*)
1/2 cup chopped Oreo cookies (with creme), plus 1 cup crushed Oreo crumbs (without creme)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and well-combined.
3. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix until the ingredients are well-combined. Add the flour and mix on low until the flour is incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips and chopped Oreo's with a rubber spatula.
4. Place the Oreo cookie crumbs in a small bowl. Scoop the cookies into about 1½ to 2″ balls and then roll in the cookie crumbs. Place the cookie balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the tops are slightly puffed.
5. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.


*I would use regular chocolate chips for this

No comments:

Post a Comment