Friday, June 24, 2011

Maple Fennel Country Sausage


I used to think that the only way you could make sausage was with one of those grinders. NOT true! You can just take ground pork and mix it up with some spices and seasonings, shape it into patties and BOOM, you've got homemade sausage! And it is sooooo good. I'm not even a big meat eater and I think it's just delicious. 

Bonus- it is SO simple!

I mix up a batch and then place the patties on a sheet pan covered in tin foil and freeze them. Once frozen, I throw them in a plastic bag. That way the night before I want to fry some up, all I have to do is place a couple patties in the refrigerator overnight. Thawed by morning! Just perfect. 



Maple Fennel Country Sausage
adapted from Rachel Ray

  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil


Combine salt and pepper, fennel in the bottom of a bowl. Add pork and mix to combine spices. Pour 2 tablespoons maple syrup over the pork and work the meat again to combine the maple syrup. Form meat into patties, 2 to 3 inches round. Cook patties in 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat 4 or 5 minutes on each side. Drain sausage patties on towel lined plate, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment