Thursday, May 5, 2011

Avocado Ice Cream


Happy Cinco de Mayo!! I know, I know... Avocado ice cream? Well, I wanted to make something to signify the holiday and I didn't want to do a guacamole or anything, since this site is supposed to be primarily for the sweet tooth. So I decided to take the avocado in a different direction! Trust me, when I see savory ice creams, I want to scream. But when I saw this recipe posted on other blogs, and the photo's just looked so appealing, I just had to try it out. And I have got to say, if you like avocados (like myself) and you like sweets (like myself), then you'll like this ice cream! Oh and if you enjoy a nice creamy ice cream... you'll looove this! Between the avocados, sour cream and heavy cream, there is no denying that this ice cream is luxuriously smooth. And it's not bad for you either- avocados replace most of the fat that a normal ice cream recipe would use, with a hefty load of healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats help regulate your blood to a healthy level, lowering triglyceride and LDL counts, while raising the HDL count. And believe it or not, it really does have a great taste too. The avocado flavor isn't overwhelming, it kicks in right at the end of a taste and it's just subtle enough to enjoy. It is the perfect sweetness to balance the flavors as well. And it is SO easy to make. I can't stress that enough! I adore recipes that use the push button method. That is, to simply throw ingredients into a food processor and push the button haha and that is exactly what this does. It takes minimal ingredients, tosses them in a food processor, and purees them until smooth. So clever, so easy and sooo good! Really, as I said, if you like avocados and you like your sweets, you'll like this.

Avocado Ice Cream
Recipe from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz

3 medium ripe avocados
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream (dare I suggest substitute greek yogurt to add nutrition? yes, yes I do)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tb freshly squeezed lime juice
pinch of salt

1. Slice open avocados, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh. Put the avocados in a blender of food processor. Add the sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice and salt. Blend until completely smooth.


2. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. If you like soft ice cream, go ahead and eat. If you like firmer ice cream, store in freezer for a couple of hours before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment