Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blueberry Acai Smoothie


Yesterday I had the pleasure of getting all four of my wisdom teeth extracted- UGH. The whole thing went really well and I feel pretty good. Needless to say, I won't be able to chew on much the next few days, so it's a liquid diet for me! I am kind of bummed about it since I love food so much and now I am very limited as to what I can eat. This does give me a good opportunity to try out some of the new smoothie recipes that I've collected. So be prepared to be faced with a plethora of smoothie and beverage posts for at least a week haha I apologize in advance for that. I try to make my posts as diverse as I can, but this next week, I just don't think I can swing it.




So this is the first thing that I whipped up to eat after my teeth were pulled. Oh boy and was it delicious! I forgot how delicious smoothie's are. Plus it's a very easy, yummy way to bump up nutrition, especially if you're limited in what you can consume, as I am at the moment. Have you heard all the raves that acai berries are getting lately? Well I certainly have and I am all about things that are going to pump me full of antioxidants. That's why I went in the berry direction with this smoothie- simply chocked full of antioxidants. Seriously, between the blueberries, strawberries and acai juice, it's a delight of free radical fighting nutrition! And I was really surprised that it didn't need any added sugar. Usually some fruit smoothies need sweetener because they can be a bit sour, but not this one. It was perfect! And to amp up the protein I plopped in a couple of spoonfuls of 0% Greek yogurt. As with all smoothies it is very versatile. Totally forgiving. Don't have enough blueberries? Add some extra strawberries. Vegan? Use soy milk. Want to really watch your calories? Use almond milk. Any way you work it, this is really a fantastic nutritious and delicious smoothie!


If you're a huge smoothie fan, check out this website. She has an incredible array of recipes!


Blueberry Acai Smoothie
adapted from kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
Serves 2


1 cup milk
1 1/2 bananas, chopped and frozen
1 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries
1 cup acai juice
1/2 cup ice


Blend all ingredients together until smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment