Monday, May 23, 2011

Green Smoothie


I know the concept of this is probably so unappealing to most... but try to be openminded. Sometimes you can sneak things like spinach into meals and you would never know it was there simply by tasting it. This is definitely one of those meals. This green smoothie is just so yummy and has absolutely NO spinach taste. I assure you. And since spinach is such a superfood, who wouldn't want to sneak it into your diet. 


Peanut butter and banana's have such a strong flavor that they completely mask any spinach flavor there might have otherwise been. The added cocoa powder makes it a nice fudgy peanut butter banana smoothie. Really that should be the name of this drink since you can't taste the spinach and it doesn't even end up being a vivid green color. Another surprising thing about this shake is that it doesn't need that much sweetener. I thought 1 tsp sweetener would be way too little, but it wasn't at all. I don't know why either, but it really was simply perfectly sweet. I didn't really question it, I just happily accepted it. I ended up using agave nectar, but you can use honey, stevia or even splenda. Heck, if you're not in it for the health food kick go ahead and use granulated sugar.  


I don't like adding ice into my smoothies. I would rather have them creamy than icy.... so instead a throw in a nice dollop of 0% greek yogurt. Plus the added protein makes for a perfectly balanced meal!


Green Smoothie
Serves 1


2 cups baby spinach (the smallest leaf has the most delicate flavor)
1 Tb peanut butter
1 Tb cocoa powder
1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
1 cup milk
1 banana, chopped and frozen


Blend all ingredients together until smooth.






Look at all the spinach in there! Guess what? You can NOT taste it. I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment