Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sweet, Moist Cornbread


I have am verrrry picky when it comes to cornbread. Somewhat of a snob actually. I absolutely can not stand having a dry, crusty cornbread. And if it isn't sweetened... don't even get me started! I know, imagine that, I like my cornbread sweet haha well, yes it needs to be sweet, but I also want it moist. I want it to be cake-like moist, but not quite pudding-like moist. I don't want to be eating a slice of cornbread and washing it down with a drink every bite. That's the worst thing that could happen with any baked good. I've tried many recipe's for cornbread and they never quite meet my criteria perfectly. That's when I decided to make my own recipe to satisfy myself! I took two of the top cornbread's I had tried and took bit's and pieces from each one. Then I scratched their milk and buttermilk additions and replaced them with creamed corn and sour cream. Now, very rarely have I ever had anything made with sour cream that wasn't moist. I wouldn't go any lower with the sugar because sour cream is tangy so you need the right balance. Anyways, I am telling you... this is a winner, if I don't say so myself. It is exactly what I was looking for and will be my stand by recipe for cornbread from now on. You've got to try this- seriously! Unless you like your cornbread dry... and crusty... and un-sweetened... YUCK! But, to each his own I guess.


Look at that deliciously moist crumb...


But seriously.... this is the best way to eat cornbread


Oh yeaaaa, smothered in Maple Syrup
LOVE it!


Sweet, Moist Cornbread

1 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can creamed corn

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9" square baking pan with spray or parchment. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl; set aside. Combine butter, eggs, creamed corn and sour cream in medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is just moistened. Transfer to pan.

2. Bake until bread is golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment