Friday, May 13, 2011

Royal Chocolate Ganache Glazed Biscuits



Alright, I know that I am a little late on the ball with this one.. but, a few weeks ago for the royal wedding, a handful of food blogger were posting the recipe for the Grooms cake- a chocolate biscuit cake (the British call cookies "biscuits"). I was shocked to see that this cake wasn't a concoction of flour, eggs, sugar and butter. It was basically a chocolate ganache with broken cookie pieces in it. I can't even imagine how rich that would be! Now, almost all the posts all said that the recipe asks for a specific type of British cookie, one which they couldn't find any where... well, guess what they had down here in Southern Alabama at the Commissary on base? The exact cookies asked for in this duplicated recipe! I couldn't believe it, so I just had to pick them up and see what all the fuss was about. Honestly... I don't understand it. The cookies were very very plain. Not sweet all.... and not buttery like a shortbread. It really is best described as a "biscuit". Very plain. Anyways, once I bought them I had to do something with them! And there was no way I was going to make a huge ganache cake to eat by myself. That is when I had a clever brainstorm! Why not just coat the cookies in a ganache- it's essentially the same thing. Now, I understand that you probably won't be able to find this cookie in your market either. That's perfectly okay! You can do this with any cook to dress it up for a more personal touch. Next time I do this, I will definitely go with a shortbread, that would just be fantastic! So here is a recipe for glazing your own "biscuits" and putting your own special touch on your treat!


These are the cookies that are specific to the Groom's Cake replica


You can do what ever you want to dress up store bought cookies!
Spread on some ganache and put on some nuts for some crunch....


Spread some ganache and sandwich two cookies together...


Or if you don't want to go to the effort to neatly spread the ganache- just dip it!


haha but if you're like me you can purposefully drop it in the ganache and completely cover it!


Chocolate Ganache
6 oz semisweet chocolate
2 Tb heavy cream
cookies of choice

note: if you want the chocolate to have a "snap" rather than being kind of creamy, just omit heavy cream.

1. Melt the chocolate into the heavy cream, stirring until smooth, using a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler place the chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, stir and then repeat until melted. Let cool.

2. Once the ganache has cooled to a spreading consistency, you can embellish your cookies by spreading or dipping. Place on a sheet tray with parchment and place in fridge to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment