Thursday, May 26, 2011

Healthy Crustless Quiche Base Recipe



Every once in a while I really have a craving for eggs... and then quiche. Funny because I absolutely never ever make quiche. Obviously I would love to but my husband would never eat it and I don't want to eat a whole quiche by myself. So when I found this recipe I was really excited because it seemed so healthy and easy- and it totally was! My favorite part is that it is completely adaptable. Put whatever kind of veggies you want in it! Or none at all even. Or maybe just a load of crisped bacon. Whatever floats your boat really. As the title suggests, I am giving this recipe to you as a base. I put sauteed mushrooms, spinach and onions in it because I think that that combination is just magical. Do whatever feels right to you. You can even add herbs and spices. I highly recommended spicing it up with some hot sauce or red pepper flakes. You can even change up the cheeses. Go with cheddar if you want simple. Go for some gruyere if you're feeling fancy. Blue cheese if you're crazy.


This recipe is loaded with protein and very little fat other than what comes from the cheese. Do NOT use non fat cottage cheese- gross... come on! Use 1%, no less than that. It ends up nice and creamy, trust me. If you like egg dishes and want to be healthy, go with this recipe. 




Healthy Quiche Base Recipe
adapted slightly from Paula Deen
Print Recipe



  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup - 2 cups filling of choice (sauteed veggies/meat)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream)
  • 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups grated cheese of choice
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Allow fillings to cool once cooked. 

Combine the eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Parmesan, flour, salt, and pepper, in a medium bowl. Stir together, or blend in food processor until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the filling ingredients. Add the cheese and blend with a spoon until well mixed. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and smooth out the top.
Bake until set, about 45 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven. It will be puffed up, but will fall slightly as it cools. Allow it to cool, then, refrigerate. Cut it into squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment